Hi, I broke my hand 5 days ago ("closed nondisplaced

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2018 in Back Pain
Question: Hi, I broke my hand 5 days ago ("closed nondisplaced fracture of shaft of fifth metacarpal bone of left hand"), it's in a fiberglass cast and I am supposed to fly cross country (6 hour flight) tomorrow, but have read that a recent injury/broken bone (with swelling, bruising, etc.) can put you at higher risk for a blood clot on flights with the change in air pressure, etc. So wondering if it's indeed a risk or if it's okay to fly...thoughts?

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later
Any sense of how long response will take? I'm nervous because I'm supposed to fly in the morning, and am wondering if with a recent broken hand if I'm at increased risk of an embolism or something with the change in altitude/air pressure/swelling, etc.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can fly.

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your query and understand your health concerns , you can fly . There is no chance of an embolism or blood clot on flights with the change in air pressure as injury is 5 days old , closed nondisplaced fracture and fracture of very small bone .
These effects occurs with big bone , displayed fracture , so nothing to worry , kindly do active finger movement .
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thank you for your prompt reply, and for the reassurance -- much appreciated. Someone recommended taking a baby aspirin an hour or so before the flight. Do you think this is necessary/helpful? I haven't taken aspirin in decades, not sure if it would upset my stomach, etc. (I've been taking Motrin for my hand injury.)
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Baby aspirin is not needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Taking a baby aspirin is not usually needed. It is better not to take it as you have not taken it in years. Just do the active finger movements during the flight. This will help.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D