Hi, I believe I have Giardia. About a month ago

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

Posted on Wed, 3 Apr 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, I believe I have Giardia. About a month ago I ate a meal in XXXXXXX and both me and a friend got extremely sick from it (throwing up). I was continuously sick for the next couple of days (diarrhea) that I decided to cancel my trip to come home and just get healthy. When I got home and had my first meal, I became sick again (threw up) and had diarrhea again for a couple days. Since then I have been taking probiotics and things have improved a little. However, I still get stomach cramps and when I go to the bathroom, it is often just unloading a lot of built up gas and when there is stool there it is soft and greasy. It has been a month and my symptoms still persist and aren't getting any better. From talking with others who have traveled through XXXXXXX this is a common bacteria that they pick up. I spoke with a local pharmacist and she recommends Flagyl (Metronidazole) but needs a prescription. She said she does take prescriptions from WebMD. I don't currently have health insurance, but out of pocket she said it would only cost $11. I am hoping you an provide her with a prescription. I can pay what I need to here out of pocket if you can provide a prescription. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
We can not provide online prescription.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Your symptoms seem to be related to traveler's diarrhea.

The common bacteria which cause a traveler's diarrhea are E. Coli and Giardia.

Metronidazole is a very preferred medication to treat this infection.

I suggest you use the Metronidazole 500 mg tree tablets a day for a week.

I also recommend to use daily probiotics daily.

I recommend you to drive a lot of liquids and eat a plain diet.

We can't give an online prescription, so you should consult a doctor to help you with a prescription.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad