question-icon

Hi, I am having pains in my upper back where

Posted on Fri, 18 May 2018
Question: Hi, I am having pains in my upper back where my left arm is connected, I also feel the sharp pain when I take deep breaths. What is that about?
Answered by Dr. Malik (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
It is highly likely a a sprained rib

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Upper sharp back pain while breathing is highly likely a sprained rib.
It can be caused by heavy lifting, repeated coughing or sneezing, poor sleeping patterns or posture.
To treat sprained rib apply cold (ice packs) to the area where you feel sharp pain for the initial 48 hours. After 48 hours you may apply heat.
Take pain killers (acetaminophen) and non-steroidal anti inflammatory medicines (ibuprofen).
Do gentle physical exercises.
Recovery of sprained rib usually takes a week and the pain is worse initial 2-3 days.

I hope the above information will be helpful for you. Please, feel free to ask me if there is anything else you need to know.

Thank you,
Malik Amonov MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Malik