question-icon

Hi, I am currently in Laos and I was scratched

Posted on Fri, 15 Feb 2019
Question: Hi, I am currently in Laos and I was scratched by a dog tonight. I have seen the doctor already and had my first rabies shot. I had a course of pre-exposure rabies vaccinations last year, but I had the last one later than recommended.

I had one at the start of May, one a week later and a final one in October last year. I know that normally you are supposed to get all three vaccinations in the same month. There was a bit of language barrier with the doctor here, so I just wanted to confirm that, given the fact that my vaccinations were spread out over 6 months, I am still ok to just get two vaccinations now and I don't need Rabies Immune Globulin as well.
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
You need another dose and no immunoglobulin.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, welcome to Ask a doctor's service. I read your query and here is my advice.

Since you have been previously vaccinated you should get 2 doses of rabies vaccine and immunoglobulin is not needed.
The vaccine you did last year is valid even though you did the third dose later.

Since you did a dose in the day you were bitten by the dog you will receive another dose the third day and no more is needed.

Hope I have answered the question. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Olgeta Xhufka