question-icon

Hi! I Am About To Undergo A Breast Lift, So

Posted on Wed, 22 Jul 2020
Question: Hi! I am about to undergo a breast lift, so I will be under General Anaesthetic. However, I have been struggling with an eating disorder (for which I have seeked help) that mainly involved laxative abuse. This abuse was not everyday (more so weekly) for around 6 months (on and off). My question is whether it will be safe for me to undergo the surgery, i have not experienced any negative side effects or symptoms of laxative abuse but i am, of course, scared of unknown damage - is there a connection between laxative abuse and complications with anaesthetic ?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
It's not abuse, don't worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for choosing "Ask a Doctor" service for your query,
I've gone through your details.

Firstly using laxatives once in a week is not abuse. Abuse means using it unnecessarily (almost daily) for months and years.

Secondly, Breast lift has nothing to do with laxative use.

Cleared for surgery!

Thanks...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist