Hi I am a 42 year old female who has

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2018 in Women's Health
Question: Hi I am a 42 year old female who has been diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis. The only symptom I have is vaginal burning. I was prescribed metrogel in October that didint completely clear the infection. I was then prescribed tinidazole for two days (4 pills a day) the burning lesened but did not completely go away. I went back to gyno and once again tested positive for BV my question is is it normal for BV to be difficult to cure and are there any natural treatments which could speed up the healing process and get rid of the burning. I'm already taking a high quality probiotic.
Answered by Dr. Soumya 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
High vaginal swab required

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) This could be due to mixed infection.

2) Please ask for high vaginal swab culture an sensitivity.

3) You can take medicines depending upon the report of culture and sensitivity for effective eradication of infection.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Follow up: Dr. Soumya 2 hours later
swab was taken was prescribed correct meds just keeps reoccuring please advise
Answered by Dr. Soumya 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs complete treatment

Detailed Answer:

1) This happens when medicines given are not effective against the set of organisms causing infection.

2) You need to repeat the high vaginal swab and to be tested for culture and sensitivity test of both bacteria and yeast. If you have previous culture and sensitivity report please share with me as attachment to this question.

3) Along with oral medicines for bacterial vaginosis you also need vaginal suppositories for yeast infection. Please do request your doctor to treat you for combined infection and not bacterial vaginosis alone.

4) Check underlying causes like diabetes if not investigated by doing fasting blood sugar levels.

5) Recurring after medication means the inadequate treatment or treatment for a particular infection and not overall plethora of organisms.