Hi I am 68 years old. Had my thyroid completely

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 29 Mar 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi I am 68 years old. Had my thyroid completely removed 40 years ago due to nodules caused by radiation. I am experiencing most of the hypothyroid symptoms. My physician did blood work. Just the TSH levels. TSH level was .09 I am on 1.75MG per day of synthroid. What should I do. My physician doesn't want to do anything. Said it is working.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Decrease the dose as below;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone through your concern,

The TSH level your reported is too low, suggesting for a high dose of levothyroxine.

I would recommend decreasing the dose (you may take one day 175mcg and the next day 150mcg) and check the TSH after 6 weeks, if normal, continue with this dose for other 6 months.

Hope the information will help. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee