Hi, I am 35 weeks pregnant. i got too much

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2019 in Diabetes
Question: Hi, I am 35 weeks pregnant. i got too much of white discharge last week. I got my AFI Doppler scan done on 19th of this month. in that baby weight is 2.65kg. My doctor felt that baby weight is little high. So advised me to take OGCT 50gm glucose test non fasting test. I took the test after lunch and evening around 5:30pm. The value is 177mg/DL which is high. The fasting 75gm glucose OCGT test was performed on 10th October, 2018 which is around 25 week of pregnancy(my last menstrual cycle is April 20, 2018) is completely normal. kindly advise if there is any complications with this diabetes. I am so scared to see the report today. As in internet I read that complications will develop for baby and I will get the diabetes also post delivery. kindly suggest.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be controlled with medicines and dietary control.

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your query and understand your health concerns.

The abnormal glucose tolerance test at 35 weeks can cause an increased body weight of the baby. Since the test at 25 weeks was normal. it seems diabetes has developed recently. You need to have proper control of the blood glucose levels after consulting your gynaecologist.

This will prevent excessive weight gain of the baby. Diabetes will come back to normal after the delivery. There is nothing to worry.

The chances of developing diabetes later in life are there but can be prevented with proper dietary control.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later
is this abnormal level.. should I go for fasting test again. I m scared. if needed i can take test again tomorrow if the time I took is not feasible. please suggest. this is my first baby and my blood group is b-ve. I m scared of diabetes. please suggest
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The levels are high.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The OGCT levels are slightly high. You can start with a dietary control and start with medicines like insulin if needed after consulting your gynecologist. A repeat test is not needed.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 39 hours later
I am 36th week now. I put on 1.7kg in 5 days is this because of gestational diabetes??
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is due to diabetes.

Detailed Answer:
The excessive weight gain is due to diabetes. You need to control it properly to help in decreasing the excessive weight gain. It will gradually come to normal after delivery.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T