Hi Got medical abortion done for missed abortion at 11

Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2019 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi
Got medical abortion done for missed abortion at 11 weeks POG. I bled for 3 days and whole gsac came intact along with big clots. After this i just had spotting. Tvs after 14 days showed ET of 16mm and rpoc for which i was advised misoprost 600 mcg stat methergin tds for 5 days. With methergin I stopped having spotting and passed whitish tissue bits. Tvs after this showed ET of 8mm and rpocs of size 1.5 by 1.6just above the os.
My gynec Advised D and C. I had a previous LSCS 4 years ago. I have no symptoms of pain or discharge or fever etc. Should I wait for the rpoc to pass on its own?
Can i repeat methergin and misoprost?
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Repeat Misoprostol. USG after 15 days.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service.
I have understood your concern, checked the reports and I will suggest you the best possible treatment options.

First of all, do not panic.
As your USG report is showing that POC is near internal os, I will suggest you undergo repeat course of Tablet Misoprostol.

Also, a week-long course of broad-spectrum antibiotic like Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day is advisable. You may require a prescription from your local physician/gynaec for this.

Please repeat the USG after 15 days.
Of course, D&C is an option, if needed.

Please feel free to communicate with me again.

I hope this answer helps you.
Thanks
Dr Purushottam Neurgaonkar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 2 hours later
Thanks doctor
How much dose of misoprost can i take if taking sl and what intervals. . Please advice.
(Actually i consulted another gynec who told me to go for d and c but she did not deny me another round of misoprot and methergin..i hv already taken misoprost 800 sl and 2 doses of methergin next day. I came across this forum and learnt that methergin has no role in rpocs. What should i do now?)
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Misoprostol 600 mcg sublingual

Detailed Answer:
Hi there
Thanks for appreciating the answer and reverting back to me.

I have gone through your reply.
Yes, you need not take Tablet Methergin now.
Also do not take Tablet Meftal spas.

I will recommend Tablet Misoprostol 600 microgram to be taken sublingual, at bed time.
You can swallow remaining tablets in the mouth after 30 minutes.

A course of broad spectrum antibiotics as suggested earlier, and repeat USG after 15 days.

I hope this answer helps you

Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj