Hi, For starters, I have been diagnosed with hypochondria. The

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi,

For starters, I have been diagnosed with hypochondria.

The illness that I worry about getting is condylar resorption.

I had jaw surgery in 2012 to correct long face syndrome. The surgery went well and I had no complications.

Ever since then, however, I have worried that something will happen to make my jaw "deformed" again.

Since the surgery in 2012, I have developed jaw pain, clicking, and popping. I have visited my jaw surgeon regarding this, and they ordered an MRI. The MRI indicated no issues. I also visit my dentist regularly, and they have said they do not see any issues. I have attached my most recent panoramic X-ray from my dentist for your reference, as well as my records from the 2012 surgery.

I understand that condylar resorption occurs mostly to young women and rarely occurs after the age of 20. I also understand it is often hormonally mediated or an effect of reactive arthritis. My hormones are balanced (I am working with an endocrinologist) and I do not think I have reactive arthritis.

I think that my hypochondria is a reaction to the "trauma" of the jaw surgery.

I am asking from you for one last reassurance that condylar resorption is extremely unlikely/ not happening. After this, I am going to go seek treatment for my hypochondria.

Thank you,
Maggie

Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your jaw surgery could have been a cause of your hypochondria.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I understand your concern.

The exact cause of hypochondria is not well known, but certain factors are probably involved.

An intervention can certainly be a cause of hypochondria.

So,as per your query I believe that your jaw surgery could have been a cause of your symptoms.

I would recommend the consult of a psychiatrist for an examination to confirm the diagnosis.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to reduce behaviors of frequently checking your body.

I also recommend avoiding alcohol or caffeine and also stress.

Improving daily lifestyle and relationships can also be very helpful.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 50 minutes later
Thank you! I will do this. So you think that, based on what I said, I probably do not have condylar resorption?
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no presence of condylar resorption in the attached reports.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again dear,

There are chances of condylar resorption after jaw surgery involving but it does not happen always.

I already reviewed the attached reports.

In your case there is no presence of condylar resorption.

You should not be worried.

Take care dear,

Dr.Dorina Gurabardhi