Hi Dr, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I am a 58 year old

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2019 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi Dr, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I am a 58 year old woman who in September was diagnosed with herpes simplex two. Devastating as this is I have been married for 32 years three healthy adult children and My husband is negative for this virus. I had an out break in September I took faltered for one week nd broke out in a rash arms and legs. Rash went away immediately after stopping it. Went to an allergist and she advised to try Famvir however i am reluctant to go on any antiviral medication . I have had two more out breaks since Sept. I used an ointment Acyclovir 5% which somehow makes me feel Ramey . And then i tried Gigartina ointment (red marine algae). I read propolis ointment may work. I now have another outbreak and I am frustrated ? Question is how can i prevent outbreaks. i am a practicing yoga teacher and student. I try to be very natural with my life and diet. Should i try the propolis ointment or are there any vitamins or supplements i can take to prevent outbreaks?? I have high cholesterol and trying to lower it, so I DON’T THINK lysine is a good choice cause I READ that it may increase cholesterol. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Answer a few questions, please

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to ask a doctor service,

I have gone through your complaints and understand your concern.

I need to ask you a few questions:
What is the site of the rash?
Is it associated with burning, pain, and itching?
Do you have any other ailments?
I don’t think propolis ointment would be effective in preventing the outbreaks.

Kindly revert with the answers.
If possible upload the pictures of the affected areas so that I can have a clearer picture of the condition and can guide you accordingly.

Dr. Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 14 minutes later
Hi. First of all my first out break was sept. 12 I took valtrex for a week and my arms and legs were covered with a red breakout rash definitely from the medicine. I do not currently have a rash but I have a genital out break and it is uncomfortable I am Leary to take another antivirul med and I’m using red gigantism ointment to calm the flare up! Any advice to decrease out breaks other than antivirul meds?
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Lease see aove
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
No medicines can reduce outbreaks apart from antiviral drugs

Detailed Answer:
Unfortunately there are no other medicines apart from antiviral drugs that can reduce the outbreaks.
You can take tablet aciclovir 400 mg twice daily for 3-4 months as a suppressive therapy to reduce the frequency of occurrence of genital herpes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 48 minutes later
Yes I understand however I had an allergic reaction to valtrex after taking it for a week! Would it be different if I took it as a suppressant??? Is it safe to take famiciclovir instead since I had an a allergic reaction to valtrex ? thank you
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Safe to take famciclovir

Detailed Answer:
Yes it would be safe to take famciclovir as a suppressant.
Don’t take valtrex since you had a reaction to it.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj