Hi Dr. XXXXXXX Jain/or Doctor available, I have the following
I have the following symptoms:
- Abdominal pain lower right side (intermittent since last Friday at noon)
- Today hardened right lower abdomen side (today pain not that sharp, but more spread out)
-My period is delayed (but no pregnancy results from home test - taken twice)
The lower right abdominal pain is intermittent and started on Friday at noon, it woke me up 2 nights ago, but last night it didn't. I took night time acetaminophen last night. Today the pain has been less sharp, and a bit more spread out in the same area. Now, I feel a bit harder that area. I can walk fine, so it doesn't seem appendicitis and don't have other symptoms. A year ago I missed a period as well, got checked by my doctor 2 times last year (everything was fine), so my doctor thought it could be pre-menopause symptoms. This time the new symptom was the lower pain.
There is a family history of cysts or fibroids (mom, sister, a double cousin just got one extracted)
Thank you in advance for your advice.
It is possible that you have a cyst on the right ovary that is being activated by hormones.
Although appendicitis pain usually is worse with walking (you are correct on that!) and is more steady that intermittent, it needs to be considered with an exam.
Other possibilities include a problem with the bowel or uterus.
As the pain is less severe today, I think ovarian torsion is less likely.
But as you missed a period and the pain is intermittent, and the pain is sharp in nature, the most likely and most common cause would be a functional cyst which happens at the site of where an egg came off of (ovulation) or is trying to erupt from the ovary.
If the pain is severe or if it worsens, I recommend going in to be seen. The doctor can get a better idea with an exam, and also an ultrasound can show cystic structures.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis