Hi Doctor Saransh was operated for rectal prolapse in 2017.

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi Doctor Saransh was operated for rectal prolapse in 2017. recently doctor has certified that he had 10 Cm of rectal prolapse and today it was about 1 Cm of resudual prolapse.

request your advise on following ?
what is residual prolapse ?
what is be future consiquances of residual prolapse ?
will it again require surgery ?

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Residual prolapse is some amount of mucosa seen externally after Surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I saw the Reports.
Patient had 10cms of Rectum outside for which he was operated in 2017.Now,about 1 cm of inner lining of Rectum i.e.Mucosa (Residual prolapse)is seen outside.The procedure is described in the Literature.
It is not Recurrence where you see 10cms of the Rectum seen outside again after initial Surgery.
As per Medical literature,simple removal of the Residual prolapsed portion is sufficient.It does not need major surgery.
If it is not removed initially,it may increase in size and may require Major Surgery.It may remain 1cm only for prolonged period.
Give him hlgh fiber diet, plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.He should take plenty of liquids.
Nothing to worry as of now.
Hope I answered your question.If you have any questions,I will clarify further.
Wish him good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana