Hi Doctor, My wife is having cough for past 4-5

Question
Hi Doctor,
My wife is having cough for past 4-5 months. We have been to doctor thrice and changed 2 doctors as well but, both of them says it is allergic cough and will time to go.
One of them suggested to get CBC test done for which I am attaching the report. Please have a look and let me know the interpretation of report.

Also, I am mentioning the medicines which my wife is currently taking as per doctor's advice. Please suggest the way forward.

Ankur
Fri, 2 Feb 2018 in Internal Doctor Category

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The reports point towards an infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have seen the report. Absolute lymphocyte count is mildly raised and points towards a recent infection. It does not clarify which infection it is and is not confirmatory.
I will suggest that to rule out infection induced cough a culture and sensitivity of early morning sputum should take place. The sputum also get checked for AFB.
A chest X-ray PA view will also help rule out any lung problem.

Cough and lung problems mostly happen due to inhalation of polluted air. In case of allergies it happens due to the trigger. Your wife must avoid both until a diagnosis is made.

I have seen the medicines. Zental is anti-helminthic, E bast M is anti-allergic and XXXXXXX is cough supressant. Zental course be completed. Other medicines, if these are not working then these can be withdrawn.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: Hi Doctor, My wife is having cough for past 4-5 28 hours later
Hi Doctor,
Thanks for your reply.

She is having dry cough and there is no sputum coming in cough.
Will chest X ray as suggested earlier would be enough to rule out any infection?

Ankur

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes chest X ray can be done

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Yes chest X ray can be done alone if no sputum. If will clarify the health of lungs.

Dr Vaishalee