Hi Doctor, My son is about to reach his 9

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Sun, 6 Jan 2019 in Child Health
Question: Hi Doctor,

My son is about to reach his 9 month mark on 21st. We have a MMR vaccine scheduled on the same day. Can you please let me know if this vaccination can be given a couple of days later or it needs to be given on the same day?

Thank you in advance!
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No issues, it can be given few days later

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
Actually for every vaccination there is a range of age. This is decided by the factors like the age at which the baby can well tolerate the immune component of the vaccine, there is no interference with the immunity received by mother and the age at which one particular disease is commonly occurs.
MMR contains vaccination against measles, mumps and rubella. It is the measles component for which age matters most. The measles vaccine can be given from 6-12 month as per the risk of infection. The schedule is made as per recommendation so that everyone should follow it strictly and the dose should not be missed. The vaccination is for prevention not for treatment so delay will not cause any particular harm per se. So you need not to worry for that.
If due to any unavoidable reason the dose is delayed it should be given at earliest possible day.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T