Hi Doctor, My mother weight has increased drastically from 72

Diabetologist
Question
Hi Doctor,

My mother weight has increased drastically from 72 (which was constant for 12 years) to 84. Her hands were swollen. We consulted the cardiologist and upon undergoing CUE test, it was found that there was high albumin content in the urine (+++) and sugar content in urine (++) . We were then asked to consult a nephrologist.
Other details in CUE:
WBC -> 6
RBC -> 2
Sugar -> ++

Then we took the following tests.
Urinary Protein creatinine ratio
Results:
Urine protein : 253 (Biological reference interval 0 -8 mg/dL)
Creatinine Urine: 54 (Reference : > 40 years 15 - 278 mg/dL)
Proteins/Creatinine ratio: 4.69 (Nephrotic syndrome : > 3.5)

The nephrologist said that he is starting a low dosage because my mother is taking drugs like blood thinners and drugs to prevent blood clots, cholestorol, hypertension.

I would like to know whether this chronic kidney disease can be cured with the medication prescribed by the doctor. Otherwise, what should be done to reverse the damage done to the kidney?

Thanks,
Ragavendran
Sat, 10 Feb 2018 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic Kidney Disease cannot be cured completely.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.
Noted your concern.

There are many factors that are contributing to kidney disease in your mother's case -
- Long term diabetes.
- Blood pressure problem (hypertension)
- Heart disease.

There is a sudden weight gain due water retention (as kidney cannot remove adequate water from body) in her.
Tab Dytor contains Torsemide which help in removing water through urine.

In case of chronic Kidney Disease aim is to restrict progression or to slow the progression of disease.
Cure of chronic Kidney Disease is nearly impossible.

Control of underlying disease (Diabetes, blood pressure, heart disease, cholesterol, Uric Acid), avoidance of nephrotoxic drugs helps in restriction of progression and/or slowing the progression of disease.

Keep following diabetologist, cardiologist & nephrologist regularly.

Hope this helps.

Dr Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist.