question-icon

Hi Doctor, May daughter is 25 months old. She has

Posted on Sat, 16 Feb 2019
Question: Hi Doctor,
May daughter is 25 months old. She has got slight cough and runny nose since yesterday.
We had given her only Alerid syrup (cetirizine) 5 ml yesterday evening.

We also have Maxtra, Ventorlin and Ambrolite S available at home.
Please suggest shall we continue with Alerid 5 ml? Is this dosage correct? Her weight is approx. 12.5 KGs and what other medicine shall we give her, if any?

Ankur
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar (32 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Continue giving cetrizine, watch for symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform
I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
Mild cough with running nose without fever is most likely due to allergy/seasonal cold. Possibilty of viral infection would be more if there is associated fever.
I think cetrizine in the same dose what you are giving for 4-5 days will help. As cough is mild only I don't think that cough syrup like Ambrodil s is needed. Please check the expiry date of medication and please don't use if the bottle has been kept opened for long.
Watch for other symptoms like fever, worsening of cough, breathing difficulty, poor feeding, excessive irritability or letharginess and if you notice any please consult your pediatrician.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology