Hi Doctor, I was chatting with a person who claims

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 1 Apr 2019 in Mental Health
Question: Hi Doctor,

I was chatting with a person who claims herself as a Doctor, through my computer for matrimonial purpose. I mentioned that I am suffering from nosophobia (fear of contracting diseases like HIV,HepB,HepC,VDRL from others) and want to marry someone from medical profession so that my fears are allayed. To my XXXXXXX she mentioned that, she also suffers from nosophobia, ocd and hypochondria. My question to you is, how can a person with medical background show this type of mental fear.

My psychiatrist has already informed me that few of Doctors/Nurses also have this type of mental illness and not to give importance to them.
Kindly provide your inputs. if I want to marry someone, i will first get their medical fitness certificate and then only marry.

I am on 100 mg sertraline already and i take it regularly.

Shan

Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 7 minutes later
ient ProfileGender: MaleAge: 33Visited a Doctor: onMedications Tried: sertraline 100 mg
Hi Doctor,

I am on 100 mg sertraline for my anxiety and depression and i take it regularly. My doctor has asked me to take rivotril 0.5 mg only on need basis.

Shan
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
This type of anxiety is common.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for using ask a doctor service

I can understand your problem. Nosophobia is a type of anxiety that develops over time. This can occur in any person. Fear of contamination, thoughts about hygiene are common in a lot of individuals. Even a person with medical background can have anxiety. They are not immune to anxiety. This anxiety can be similar to the anxiety you have. Intrusive thoughts about getting illnesss are seen and these thoughts persist, cause distress despite having awareness that these are purposeless. So no need to get worried.

You should be take medicine regularly and this will help to relieve anxiety. There is no need to take medical certificate, you can talk with your partner about this and she can give reassurance.

Thanks

Please let me know if you have more doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T