Hi Doctor: I had my routine blood work done and

Dr. Anders Mark Christensen

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 16 Feb 2019 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi Doctor: I had my routine blood work done and they found microscopic blood in my urine.

1+ UA Blood

6-10 UA RBC

Few Proteins

I just had a CT scan done with contrast and there were no tumors found. The bladder was a little thickened but that was all on the CT scan of the entire body.

My questions:
1. Is it still worrisome that cancer in the bladder or urinary tract can still be present?
2. Are the initial findings worrisome to you as a Urologist in regards to the RBC's found?

3. What would you do from here?
4. How important is it to get a clean catch. I cleaned, washed hands but did not stop midstream and just collected. However, I did three tests in 2 days and I am pretty certain the first one was not properly cleaned. Results were consistent though.

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is not worrisome

Detailed Answer:
Hi Crosen,

I do not find it worrisome and cancer is unlikely. However, standard procedure in case of blood in the urine and symptoms (pain, weight loss, a palpable mass, etc) would be a cystoscopy.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana