• question-icon

Hi Doctor, I am suffering from health anxiety .I developed

Posted on Fri, 2 Aug 2019 in Mental Health
Question: Hi Doctor,

I am suffering from health anxiety.I developed this type of anxiety after I once failed the Montoux Skin test for TB, while I was traveling abroad. The chest X-ray and blood tests for TB were normal.

I have also got tested for Hep C, HIV, Hep B and all are non-reactive or negative.

Now I am getting married. For getting married, i told lies that I neither smoke nor drink. I quit drinking and smoking few months back.

I disclosed her yesterday that i use to smoke and drink once, but now I don't do it. My Fiancee took this very seriously and keeps saying me I am a liar. I have already asked her to forgive me several times, but still she is getting upset.

As part of premarital tests she asked, I provided her Hep C, HIV and Hep B reports. All are negative or non-reactive. Now I am worried whether she will trust me in these tests or not. The reports are from BIOLINE labs XXXXXXX They take photo before test, print reference numbers in the test reports. If she is checking the reports at BIOLINE labs using reference numbers, she will come to know that I am negative or non-reactive for Hep C, HIV, Hep B.
However, my fiancee's doubting character in everything is really annoying me. She always takes things very seriously.

Kindly provide your feedback.

Shan
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Spend time with each other.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query here.
I have gone through it and understand your concerns completely.
Basically, successful marital relationships are based on truth and faithfulness. As you earlier told a lie about your smoking and drinking habits to your fiancee, this might be the reason that she is doubting you every time in every thing.

I think the best way to sort out things is to always have an open communication. Politely put your point in front of your fiancee and give her time to believe the facts. Never be manipulative. The more explanations you will try to give, the more doubtful she will become. Be clear in whatever you say.

It takes time to develop understanding between each other. Spend more time with each other so that you both get to each other better. Slowly the misunderstanding will be resolved.

Whatever the reports are, they are in front of you both. These can not be false as they are declared by a lab. So just relax.

Hope this will help you.

Feel free to ask further.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist