Hi Doctor, I am a new mom delivered my about

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2019 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Doctor,

I am a new mom delivered my about 25 days ago with c-section.
But i am getting severe pain while brestfeeding, and because of the same from 2nd week onwards we started to express milk into a bottle for about 60ml and giving it to baby for about every 2-3 hours. And whenever we feel like baby is crying because of not sucking through brests we used to offer him those. Its like on an average one or two times directly through brests and at one time other times of the day with expressed milk (60ml). But this pain is ever increaersing and we tried nipcare ointment between feeding and clean-it off before next feed. But this didn't gave us any relief and pain is increasing at that one time we directly give which is also there while expressing into a bottle. We tried to use nipple shield from second week onwards with that same routine like one-two times of day brestfeeding with nipple shield and other times of the day giving expressed milk by bottle. But we couldn't figure out a way to get him a good latch and make brestfeeding painless or atleast with bearable pain.

Can you please suggest how can we get help to get this problem fixed as in how to get baby to suck brestfeeding efficiently so that he gets his milk without me getting hurt much?

We are worried while giving 60 ml expressed milk that is it enough or less or is it going to be a problem that we keep doing like this but not routine brestmilk all the time directly?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Expressed milk is not harmful.

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your query and understand your health concerns.
Giving expressed milk once or twice in a day is not worrisome. If you have pain in the breast only during the breast feeding and not during the expression of the milk for bottle feeding then it may be related to improper holding of the baby or improper latching of the baby. Cracked nipples is the most common cause of this problem.
In case the pain in the breast is persistent all throughout the day then it can be related to a breast infection which can be ruled out only after a direct examination by a gynecologist.
This may need proper prescription antibiotics for treatment.
Regular breast feeding will help in proper holding and latching of the baby. You can get your breast feeding position examined and corrected by your gynecologist.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T