Hi Doctor, I am 31 years old male. I am

Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 28 Mar 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi Doctor,
I am 31 years old male. I am having pterygium in my left eye. It is there since i was 6 years old. It is painless but does not look good. I consulted eye specialists they suggested surgery but my parent's were against it due to chance of recurrence. So we did not go for surgery.
Now my worry point is i am having daughter. She is 4 years old. When she has cold her left eye becomes slightly red. As i hv suffered badly in my small age due to pterygium. While watching her red eye i became worried as in wildest dreams do not want her to suffer same.
So my question is. Is pterygium hereditary/genetic.
If so what precautions can be taken to avoid its occurence.
I repeat my family members are of view that it is normally redness nd it disappears on its own when her cold is treated.
But i want to be cautious.

Please advice.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
surgical resection is only recomandation for pterigium.

Detailed Answer:
For pterigium surgery is only possibility. If resection is done properly then chances of recurrence is less. If there is recurrence then it can be again operated.Without surgery there is no treatment available. Redness is common so you can take tablet levocetrizine 5 mg in the morning for ten days. You can apply cromal eye drop three times daily for one week. Redness will go. It can be associated with cold so it goes away which is self limiting so its improvement is associated with its condition.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 21 minutes later
sir thanks for your answer. i am having it from 25 years. i have learnt to live with it. my main query is . is it hereditary/genetic. whether it will pass onto my daughter due to hereditary. please reply.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
For pterygium surgery is the only option it should be fine resection.

Detailed Answer:
Pterygium has to be operated. It is to be observed as to how far it has encroached cornea. If it will affect pupillary area then it will obstruct vision. It is to be resected. It should be fine and lamellar. No medication is required. With a sterile pad, it should be closed. With its pressure, it will heal.You can apply Ciprofloxacin eye drop 3% eight hourly.You can also apply Neosporin eye ointment at bedtime.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana