Hi Doctor, Am suffering from Jock Itch(Groin Area, Hips area)
Am suffering from Jock Itch(Groin Area, Hips area) from a good period of time(it's suppressing some time and coming back again). I have shown dermatologist for the same concern 6 months back for this as the condition got worsened(Reddish, Swollen, Itchy and Spread over multiple areas) and got the following medicines from the doctor.
1. Itraconozole 100mg
2. Grisovin FP
4. Nizoclin Topical Cream
I have followed it for 20 days(i could see results in the 2nd day itself) as suggested by the doctor and stopped it. After 2-3 weeks of stopping the medicines, I could see it recurring again with the same signs. Again I continued it for the same period and stopped and this cycle is repeating again and again. I see it getting suppressed and recurring back after some days of stopping medicines.
It gets spread to my spouse as well, whenever I get she also gets it and both will follow the same medications and stop at the same time.
I have the following queries:
1. Is this recurring situation common in all cases?
2. Why do I see this behavior in spite of following the medications as suggested by the dermatologist and even after taking proper care of that area.
3. Is there any way we can completely cure this disease, as this is getting worsened because of its recurring nature.
4. Is this happening due to intercourse? If yes, whats the necessary precautions/medications which we need to take.
Thanks in Advance
Medicines need to be taken for 3-4 months
Welcome to ask a doctor service
I have gone through your query.
Ringworm infection is a contagious disease which spreads from person to person.
It is very resistant and recurrent.
The medicines prescribed to you are fine but it needs to be taken for a long duration like 3-4 months under the supervision of the doctor.
It can spread due to intercourse, sharing of soap and towels.
I would recommend you to avoid sharing of soaps, towels and iron the clothes after washing.
I would recommend you to take these medicines for at least 3 months.
I hope to have answered your query and would be happy to answer any further queries.
Could you please respond inline to the queries raised.
1. What caused this disease?
2. What is the permanent cure for this recurrent disease?
3. If I continue this medicines for 3-4 months, will it not recur in the future?
It is a superficial fungal infection of the skin.
The antifungal medicines given to you were fine but they need to be taken for 3-4 months to achieve permanent cure.
If you continue these medicines for 3-4 months under the supervision of the doctor with gradual tapering then there are 80-90 percent chances that it will not recur.