Hi Doctor, 38 year old male here, heavier than I

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Sun, 23 Dec 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi Doctor,

38 year old male here, heavier than I wish to be, but I exercise regularly, don't smoke, drink moderately, and try to eat healthily most of the time.

As you might be aware, Apple Watch just introduced a new EKG function today, and I wanted to try it out. My father died of a heart attack at a fairly young age, so I'm always a little concerned about heart health.

I had an echo a year or so ago, and my doctor was pretty pleased with it overall, though I was borderline LVH (but only borderline, and that could be the weight). I am trying to lose, but it's very difficult. She also did an EKG and said it looked good at the time, reflecting the echo results.

I'm happy to say Apple Watch also reports sinus rhythm, but I do notice the waves look a little bit different than their examples (doesn't go very far under the baseline, little bumps before and after I don't see in the example). I just would like to make sure this looks normal/healthy to you and nothing alarming.

Thanks for easing my concerns and letting me know if this is considered normal! Please see attached!
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Good to hear from you after a while.

I can understand your concern and I would like to tell you that the image attached by you is a single lead tracing and that tracing is normal.

Here for your information Apple Watch ecg is not for any diagnostic purpose as it gives just one lead information. It’s basic purpose is to detect sudden abnormal rhythms like Atrial fibrillation.

So just keep maintaining healthy lifestyle routine and go for yearly medical checkups.

I hope this information will guide you properly.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 21 minutes later
Dear Dr. Partap,

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

I understand that a regular ECG like I had a year ago has multiple leads, so it's good to know just a single lead is good for rhythms but not necessarily much else. I was just concerned based on it not following the example ECG pattern exactly (the extra bumps, the P segment not falling underneath baseline, and the ST segment dipping in areas instead of totally flat), but I do understand there is some normal variation for ECG's.

So just to clarify and for peace of mind, based on the single lead reading, you don't see anything of any significant concern that I should see someone about and I should consider this normal and nothing to worry about?

Thanks again!
Shaun
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
Yes budd. It’s just a normal variation.

Just relax, workout daily and enjoy your Apple Watch.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap