Hi Doc, I'm trying to read my neck ultra sound

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2018 in Lump
Question: Hi Doc, I'm trying to read my neck ultra sound. I'm scared now it might be something serious like cancer. please help Thanks. I have attached the report.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound won't detect anything cancerous, not to worry...

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service...
I've gone through your query in details...
I can understand your concern...

I've checked the attached report, let me inform you first that Ultrasound won't be able to detect anything cancerous first of all...It's only after Cytology/Histopathological examination (tissue biopsy) one can be actually ascertained whether it's cancerous or not...

However, given your case, it's clearly reported as lymph nodes only...Perhaps this could be due to some infection which is causing this swelling intermittently...

I'd recommend getting it checked up by an ENT specialist as you'll most likely need to have antibiotic therapy for a while in order to get the swelling in control...

Let me again reassure you that this doesn't seem like anything cancerous so please don't worry...Just get yourself checked up for the further treatments accordingly...

Additionally, avoid any form of cold-drinks, dairy products and sour foods as they can further aggravate this situation...

Please drink a lot of fluids. Have plenty of warm liquids (soups, broth, porridge etc.), they'll act as an immunity booster and fasten the recovery.

Start doing some lukewarm saline gargle twice daily for the time being...

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 48 minutes later
I was wondering why my doctor said it's not that swollen and antibiotics is not needed.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
that is why the Ultrasound was done...

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back XXXXXXX

Yes, correct, if your doctor said that before getting the ultrasound then that's fine...cause we can't feel/assess the size of lymph nodes precisely all the time...

However, if s/he said that after reviewing the Ultrasound then it means individual perception which can be variable...

Moreover, since you're already under his/her supervision and treatment (especially if you've already finished any antibiotic course recently), to him/her this particular time it's not that much concerning to start another course of antibiotics (this is because the doctors treat the patients and not the reports)...However, you can always get a second opinion from an ENT specialist for further reassurance...

I think it's clear now...let me know if I can assist you further...

Take Care
Kind Regards