Hi Doc, History: I have had bad GERD , Acid

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 27 Mar 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi Doc,

History: I have had bad GERD, Acid reflux issue in the past.

Current situation: My stomach always bloats, gets gassy and feels so uncomfortable but no pain. Some days i don't have it at all.

Mornings its fine but by the time it gets to evening it starts bloating. This is impacting my physical as well as mental health.

I have tried and done every possible things with food, from avoiding it to adding it to my diet.

As i go to gym regularly, it is not making any impact on by body specially belly as my stomach is always bloated.

I want to be in shape but I can't eat lot of Protein like Dal, beans and stuffs because it creates lot of gas.

Do you think i have some issues with my colon? some medial issues?

I have clearly described my daily intake of food, what i eat and what i avoid.

Please suggest me a permanent solution, i am ready to follow any change in diet or lifestyle change as i am already doing it.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Introduce any change gradually.No matter how much protein or supplement you take if you bloat its of no use.
50 grams of well digested protein is far better then taking 100 grams of protein giving bloating.
Till now you were eating a regular food so you gut is dapted to digest that food over years now suddenly you are taking salads and fiberes this wont help

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,
The problem you are having is called dyspepsia.
Dyspepsia is a broad term which covers symptoms like bloating belching indigestion etc.
See as you are a gymer and are on high protein diet.Our body is a complex system which digest food properly by help of a number of good bacterias and yeast which are there in our intestine.These bacterias gradually adapts to food habits of a person and digest food So any change in diet should always be adapted gradually.There is no use of taking 100 grams of protein a day if you are bloating and belching.These symptoms are clearly suggestive that your body is not at all ready to take heavy proteins. Infact 50- grams of protein well digested would show better effect then 100 gram of protein causing indigestion.
All your symptoms are clearly suggestive of gross indigestion. When food is not digested properly it starts to ferment inside your intestines.Fermentation causes colonies of bad bacterias to develop in that area hence leading to formation of large amount of gases causing bloating belching pain in intestines etc.

I would suggest you to take this therapy for 10 days and inform me after that,
Tab Rifaximin 400mg once daily.
Tab Metrogyl 400mg thrice daily (for 5 days)
Anti bacterial and anti protozoal to kill bad bacterias in gut.
Cap Rablet l once daily(PPi for acid peptic )
Cap flora zn twice daily(probiotic good bacteria)
Syrup unizyme two tsf twice daily with half cup of water(enzymes for digestion)

Take light and easily digestible food.
No whey or BCAA etc for 10 days.
Take XXXXXXX moong daal for protein with brown rice.
No eggs and meat.
Follow up after 5 days.
Adapt things gradually fitness is a life style its not a one day thing.So have patience and adapt things slowly.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng