Hi. Am 47 yrs old. No history of smoking .

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi. Am 47 yrs old. No history of smoking. A history of excess stomach acid but managed by omeprazole. Had a sore throat 5 weeks ago which subsided slowly. But left with ongoing symptoms of sharp needle like pain down the right side of throat and particularly right side of the XXXXXXX apple with soreness right side back of throat. Comes and goes every few days. Particular pain at the end of each yawn and swallowing saliva. No other symptoms like difficulty swallowing or fever etc. Just the above recurrent symptoms and some discomfort around neck area when pressed. Appreciate help. thank you
Sun, 4 Feb 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pharngitis most likely.Go for a swab culture and sensitivity test.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query,
Very likely you are suffering from pharyngitis.
Pharyngitis is caused by swelling in the back of the throat between the tonsils and the voice box .
In most of the cases its caused by viral and is self limiting in nature.
I would suggest you to gargle three times with XXXXXXX warm water containing pinch of salt in it.
Take an anti inflammatory like Tylenol twice daily.
If still not relieved in 2-3 days a swab sensitivity test has to be done followed by antibiotic therapy.
We have to see if bacterias are suseptible to amoxicilin or not.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
A practical and easy way to differenciate them both is-
Try taking an anti inflammatory initially if pain does not respond to it then take pantroprazole 40 mg twice daily.If pain responds to PPI's its due to reflux however if it responds to anti inflammatory its due to pharyngitis.

Secondly swab culture would be normal in case the problem is due to reflux.
Hope i was helpful.

Follow-up: Hi. Am 47 yrs old. No history of smoking . 1 minute later
Thank you so much Dr XXXXXXX
I will do this.
Is it possible it could also be a case of silent acid reflux (given my history of gastric acid and excess acid being produced by stomach as diagnosed a few years ago)?

I had similar symptoms 2 years ago and that cleared up after 6-8 weeks itself.
It's just the persistent sharp needle like pain (sometimes also feels like a cutting sensation similar to placing salt on a wound)on the right side of my neck starting from back of the toungue down to an inch right of the XXXXXXX apple. Yawning definitely causes pain as the yawn is completed.
Thank you so much again