Hi - I am looking for some advice about switching

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi - I am looking for some advice about switching medication from zoloft to prozac. I started zoloft about 6 weeks ago, and I cannot deal anymore with the side effect of sever bloating, some weight gain, gas, and fatigue. I have decided to switch to prozac, and i was curious how I can make the transition with the least negative effects. I am taking 37.5 zoloft, in the evening. I am also very very sensitive to medications, and I have 10 mg prozac pills, in capsule form. Please help!
Best, Pooja
Tue, 6 Feb 2018 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Reduce Zoloft by 12.5 mg per week.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Welcome to HCM.
I can understand your concerns.

In my opinion, you can reduce Zoloft by 12.5 mg every week. Simultaneously, start with prozac 10mg and increase the dose 10mg every week.. The usual antidepressant dose of prozac is 40-60mg. In these doses, prozac shows good antidepressant effect.

However, as these are prescription drugs, keep your doctor informed about the dose changes you make. Better to do it under your doctor's supervision.

Hope this helps.