question-icon

Hey doctor, I just had a question I have been

Posted on Sat, 23 Jun 2018
Question: Hey doctor,

I just had a question I have been having this fibre;

https://au.iherb.com/pr/healthy-origins-healthy-fiber-clear-mixing-7-9-oz-225-g/62076

Along with this supplement;
https://www.australianvitamins.com/product/nc-by-nutrition-care-gut-relief-150g-powder

My questions is I noticed that they have guar gum in them especially Healthy Origins fiber which says it has hydrolyzed guar gum and I have been having about two teaspoons a day of the Healthy Origins and one of the Gut Relief which has 100mg of guar gum per teaspoon. Now I have been reading up about guar gum causing intestinal blockage could this happen with the amount I have been having I have only been having it mixed with one glass of water but I don't usually drink a huge amount of water otherwise could this have blocked my intestines up how would I know?
Follow up: Dr. Olgeta Xhufka (0 minute later)
Correction the Healthy Origins has "Sunfiber partially hydrolyzed guar gum" but I am unsure how much is in a teaspoon.
I have been having it for the last week and half now as well and have had it in the past on and off when needed.
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Guar gum doesn't cause the blockage.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Healthy origins do show any certain amount in mg of guar gum which means guar gum is found in healthy origins not as the main ingredient but as other ingredients, not in a significant amount.

Guar gum doesn't cause blockage but on the other hand help constipation.

It is not indicated if you suffer from conditions that cause the blockage.
You should take at least 8 ounces of water. It will not cause blockage for sure.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Olgeta Xhufka