Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Hernia surgery, scrotum swelling, extended to penis area, fluid filled. Treatment ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 577 Questions
My husband had hernia surgery last Tuesday. His extreme scrotum swelling has extended into the penile area and looks like a water-filled doughnut.. We are very concerned but it is a long holiday weekend and it is hard to get help. We can upload a photograph if necessary. Thank you!
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 9 hours later
Thanks for the query,

It appears that your husband is having edema of the penis and scrotum as reaction to surgery and it can happen in normal course of things.

Immediately after the hernia repair patients may experience swelling around the area of the repair. In the male population the swelling can go down to the base of penis as well as the testicular sack. Again this is temporary and the swelling will go down. At times this area of swelling will be hard to touch between two to four months. This represents an area of scar formation which with time will be softer. It’s not a complication rather a natural process of healing.

You can take painkillers like Advil for temporary pain relief.
However, i am still interested to know whether he has severe pain in the region or fever. Also kindly send the picture to ATTN: Dr.Rajiv Goel at YYYY@YYYY

Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Hernia surgery, scrotum swelling, extended to penis area, fluid filled. Treatment ? 19 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX goel,

I tried to upload the photo to YYYY@YYYY to your attention but received back a non-delivery notice.

Please advise the correct address. Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 30 hours later

Thank you for sending the pictures.

I have seen it with full concern.

The swelling just appears to be a consequence of the hernia surgery.

You need not worry much about it.

What antibiotics are being given?

I would still advise for an ultrasound of the scrotum to be done.

Wishing your husband a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor