Hernia repair done. Started sweating, nausea and bloating. Could be a post operative infection?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Infections
Question: I'm one week past an exploratory laparoscopy and a hernia repair. General anesthesia, outpatient procedure. I stopped taking oxycodone last Thursday. I've been taking ibuprofen in 800 mg doses for pain management, last one was about 5 hours ago. Around three hours ago I started experiencing alternating sweats and chills, nausea, and painful bloating, along with some cramping and very loose BMs. The exploratory was due to small bowel obstructions I've had over the past six months. Review of small bowel laparoscopically showed no abnormalities . I have no fever but I'm worried this could be a post operative infection.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
Your surgery was a week ago. I understand that it was an
out-patient procedure and a hernia repair. I am not sure
if you had a mesh inserted for hernia repair.
You are also taking an NSAID , Ibuprofen which can irritate
the lining of the stomach and give you nausea,vomiting
and even cause small ulcers on the lining of the stomach.
Sweats and chills may mean ,you have a fever. This to me
indicates that you might be reacting to the Mesh or you may
have infection. Usually post-operative infection can occur
around 7-10 days after surgery. Please check your temperature
when you are not on Ibuprofen and if you start spiking temp
call your surgeon for appropriate instructions.
The only slight possibility is withdrawal from Oxycodone if
you were taking it around the clock for pain control.
Wish you well.