Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Hepatitis-C, abdominal pain

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 339 Questions
Hepatitis-C should I be worried

I am a 31 year old male. I used to be an injection drug user, and I went to rehab and then quit. I haven’t used any drugs in over 5 years since going to rehab. While I rehab, I asked to be tested for hepatitis C. I was told that I tested positive for the antibody. I then went to a hepatologist, who conducted more tests on me, which I think was a viral load test. He told me that I was “undetectable”, and that I didn’t need to worry. This was five years ago, and I haven’t worried about it until the last year and a half.

A year and a half ago, I binged on hard alcohol for 3 days, and then had right upper quadrant abdominal pain for two weeks. It didn’t feel like pain as much as a kind of pressure It was mild, and 1 or 2 on a scale of 1-10, but constant. It made it hard to sleep. I got worried and went to the ER, and they did a liver function test on me that came back normal. It happened again 8 months ago after drinking too much, and lasted 2 weeks. Again I went to the hospital, and my liver function test came back normal. I have been drinking a lot lately, and I have gotten the pain again. Its just a constant pain, and there even days after I stopped drinking.

These are the liver function test results from a month ago.
Albumin 4.8
Bilirubin Total 0.7
Alkaline Phosphatase 56
GFR >60

My serum electrolytes are normal, as is my CBC results. Should I be worried about hepatitis C, or is this just a result of drinking too much? I was told that I had “cleared” the virus and didn’t have to worry, but I haven’t followed up since then. Are these standard liver function tests enough, or should I get another viral count or some other test?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Chron's Disease
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 6 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Pain in the upper right part of the abdomen after an alcohol binge suggests a liver injury secondary to alcohol. However you don't seem to show a liver enzyme elevation and this could be because of co-existing vitamin deficiency. Further it would be better to rule out pancreatitis also.
Anti HCV positivity is seen in people who had HCV infection and in those who have an active infection. hcv-rna/109393?iL=true" >HCV RNA positivity is a marker of ongoing infection.
However, if you keep drinking alcohol there can be a re-appearance of behaviour.
I would suggest that you totally abstain from alcohol and get a HCV-RNA test done to know about the status of the hepatitis C infection.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. I will be available for follow up queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor