Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Hemorrhoids, bleeding from rectum, painful. What kind of tests should be done?

Jul 2012
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 1196 Questions
Hello. this question is for my husband. he is 30 years old and been suffering from hemoroids for some time now.ebery time he goes to the bathroom he has blood coming out of his rectum. he is in a lot of pain, the doctor gave him something to put on the hemoroids but he is still bleeding and suffering. what kind of tests should he do, and what would you recommand him? thanks
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 54 minutes later
Hi there.
Often hemorrhoids land up in my clinic as patients' associate them with a dermatological disorder largely on account of the maceration associated/surrounding. But the point-man on the ground you need to visit is a Surgeon or 'Proctologist'. So please do fix an appointment with one such person in your area nearest you.
Hemorrhoids can be of two types largely...'internal' & 'external'.
The bleeding & suffering can be arrested by a simple procedure.
The basic aim is to obliterate the heorrhoids & stop the bleeds. This can be done by a 'banding' process using literally 'elastic bands' that fit around the hemorrhoids like a noose & choke up the blood supply (am simplifying it here for you) or electrosurgery or excision surgery (minor procedures all, that can be done in day care)
In addition, one will have to follow a diet righ in fibre & drink lots of water & take stool softeners for awhile to promote healing but should be good to go in a week or two post surgery tops!
The only 'test' he needs to do is the 'examination' with the proctologist/gen surgeon to assess the type of hemoorhoids & the doctor on the ground will be able to guide you as to what specific procedure he wishes to employ (varies on a case to case basis & the type of hemorrhoids)!
Do hope have given you a decent account of how things are likely to unfold & helped you make an informed deciscion. Dont worrry, reassure your hisband all will be well soon & fix that doctor's appointment for him as a birthday gift ;-)
Shalom & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor