question-icon

Help! I have a weird problem and I'm scared. Eleven

Posted on Sun, 17 Mar 2019
Question: Help! I have a weird problem and I'm scared. Eleven days ago I had my 8th laser hair removal treatment. Been going for 8 months now. The hair has not totally been responding and it should have been the last treatment, but still there is hair. She turned the level up much higher in that session and I remember feeling like it hurt so bad, worse than normal. The day after, I had unprotected sex with a new partner that I only had unprotected sex with once before like three weeks ago. I noticed a medium size bump appear outside the clit area under the labia fold. I didn't think much of it as I get random bumps here and there but nothing so serious. I did shave too much with the razor those days, I was really shaving hard after that laser session and in the couple days after the unprotected sex. I shaved over that bump and noticed a couple other pimple looking bumps on the pubic area, which I shaved over a lot. Then I decided to put tea tree oil on the bumps one night and I really overdid it.The oil is quite spicy and I felt it was burning me. Sure enough, the next day I cause little cuts in the pimples and it seemed to spread to more pimples. The thing is they were medium-big size bumps spaced out. Then I noticed that other symptoms happened, when I urinate it burns! And I noticed at the opening of the vagina was a bump. Also, I got achy and still am! Was also feverish! All of this scared me so much. Now I noticed a lot of little blister bumps over the areas of the bigger bumps that just appeared a couple days after the bigger bumps. I see open sores and pus too. I am scared. What is STD related and what is laser hair removal related or can it be both? I saw doctor and the doctor took only a urine sample. He wondered about herpes but then said herpes would be in the vagina not on the pubic area and he felt the hair follicles were traumatized by the laser treatment. I'm not sure as I'm having even more symptoms now like my buttocks just hurting aching, the bone at the base of the spine hurting. sometimes numbness in buttocks and even spreading to thighs. I'm so scared of herpes. All he did was urine culture and will get the result in a couple days. he also told me to take zithromax, so far on the third and final day of that and I'm not sure if it helped. Last night I switched from Fusiderm cream to Zovirax cream (I chose to swtich to that, not the doctor telling me) and it gave me the most relief out of anything which made me worried it's herpes related. I'm terrified. I should also mention I rarely am sexually active so I'm freaked out and don't know what is happening. Also, I did notice my partner had a cold sore that appeared on his upper lip, but it was not there when we had sex, but it was there a couple days after. It worried me.
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Probably herpes simplex 2, follow the advice below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Your symptoms seem to be related to herpes simplex 2.

I recommend to do a herpes culture to confirm the diagnosis.

The examination consists in taking a swab sample of fluid from the blisters.

I also recommend doing a blood test to detect for antibodies to HSV-2.

Meanwhile, I recommend to continue using Zovirax for local application.

I also recommend to use Acyclovir 200 mg four times a day for five days.

It is a prescription medication, so you should consult your doctor before this treatment.

I suggest to use Acetaminophen three tablets a day to relieve the pain.

After the examinations you can contact me again for further evaluation and treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (4 hours later)
You think i got it from oral? Cause i noticed a couple days after unprotected sex that he had a blister on his mouth. It was not there when we were together though, he had it 2-3 days after and when i noticed it he told me he gets that on his lip from time to time.
I didnt notice anything on his genital area before we had sex. He also told me he was clean when previously tested.
Also, why did i get blisters on the pubic area? I thought it should be more inside.

I am devastated.
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (6 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes, herpes simplex 1 can be transmitted through oral sex.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again dear,

Yes, herpes simplex 1 can be transmitted during oral sex and cause herpes in the genital area.

I suggest to do the examinations that I mentioned above to confirm this diagnosis.

I also suggest to follow the advice that I give above to relieve the symptoms.

You should not be worried, this virus is very common and it can be maintained under control through treatment.

Hope my answer was helpful.

Feel free to ask if you need further clarification.

Take care dear,

Dr.Dorina Gurabardhi
Follow up: Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (16 minutes later)
Did you see the picture?
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (5 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes,I already saw the attached reports.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again dear,

Yes, I already saw the attached reports.

The lesions seem to be related to herpes simplex.

I suggest to do the herpes culture to confirm the diagnosis.

Meanwhile, I suggest using the Zovirax cream for local application.

Take care dear,

Dr.Dorina Gurabardhi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (13 hours later)
Is it possible I gave myself this outbreak? Because I know most people have herpes and sometimes just manifests maybe as one bump here and there once in a blue moon. And most people never see the symptoms of it.

Then after my laser hair removal, I went crazy with shaving over that one bump I had cause it was in an area that still had a lot of hair and I shaved aggressively and shaved too much. I usually give it a break and don't shave everyday cause everyday causes irritation. But I was shaving everyday and noticed it was irritating me. And I even scrubbed the area with a stone that is meant for scrubbing under the foot. I know this hurt me too.

Then I noticed more bumps after all this, but they were bigger bumps and were bleeding cause I had aggravated things by putting a lot of spicy tea tree oil on the area.

The only time I saw the clusters of blisters was after I started taking zithromax. Zithromax made me feel horrible with very bad joint pain, skin pain and weakness. That's when I noticed I got small blisters that broke out over the bigger bumps. And those bigger bumps seemed to be inflamed hair follicles as I noticed each one had a hair in the center etc.
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Follow up query explained as below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again dear,

I understand your concern.

The big bumps seem to be related to folliculitis, which is an inflammation of the hair follicles.

It can be triggered by razor or by microtrauma of the skin.

The blisters are related to the herpes virus.

I suggest to you to continue using Zovirax the area of the blisters.

I also suggest to maintain a good hygiene.

You can avoid using the razor for a short period to let the area heal properly.

Fee free to contact me again or further clarification.

Take care dear,

Dr.Dorina Gurabardhi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi