HelloOne of my fingers has gotten very red and sore

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Wed, 27 Mar 2019 in Lump
Question: HelloOne of my fingers has gotten very red and sore around the nail and swollen almost twice the size of my same finger on the other hand. It feels like it’s about to explode. I don’t think I was bitten by anything.
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Paronychia likely

Detailed Answer:
I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using 'Ask A Doctor' service.

What you are describing sounds like a condition called paronychia, which is an infection on the finger around the fingernail. This usually involves only one finger and presents as a rapid onset of redness and swelling around the fingernail. Usually, there was some minor trauma to the finger a few days previously, but sometimes patients cannot remember.

Paronychia also needs to be distinguished from a felon, since felon is a more dangerous infection that can spread to the bone. Also, paronychia typically has an abscess. For these reasons, it is important that you go to be evaluated by a doctor urgently so that they can assess the infection and probably drain it. You may also need to be started on antibiotics.

I would recommend that you go soon as this is unlikely to resolve on its own.

I hope that helps...
Please let me know if you have any other questions and I would be glad to discuss it with you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee