Hello...I am a 50 year old female. I was diagnosed

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017
Excellent

Pulmonologist
Question
Hello...I am a 50 year old female. I was diagnosed with Type A influenza three weeks ago, on December 24, 2017. I continued to have the regular flu symptoms for several weeks and was experiencing quite a bit of coughing and some chest pain. I went to an urgent care center on January 9, 2018 to follow up, at which time they completed a two view chest X-ray, and I am attaching a copy of the results. The doctor indicated that I did not have pneumonia, but prescribed azithromycin to be safe, which has helped. I just saw the chest X-ray results today and see that it mentions "bronchial thickening" which made me concerned (I suffer from health anxiety). Is this anything to be worried about? I did have a CT scan and ventilation perfusion (?) scan of my lungs back in 2005, which showed mild bronchiectasis in both lungs. Thank you for your assistance!
Fri, 2 Feb 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry for this.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
I have gone through the x ray report you have attached.
Since you are known case of bronchiectesis, no need to worry for this bronchial thickening.
Azithromycin is good antibiotic for walking pneumonia.
In my opinion, you should also get done PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) to rule out bronchitis.
Bronchitis can cause similar symptoms and it is common after viral upper respiratory tract infection (cold and flu).
So get done PFT.
If PFT is showing obstructive defect then you will need inhaled bronchodilators (formoterol or salmeterol) and inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) (budesonide or fluticasone)
But no need to worry for x ray report.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.

Follow-up: Hello...I am a 50 year old female. I was diagnosed 6 hours later
Hi Dr. Bhavsar! Thank you so very much for your expertise and kind reassurances -- it means so much to me!

One last question -- can bronchial thickening on an X-ray also be caused by fluid buildup from having a bad case of Influenza A for several weeks? And can it be a temporary condition that resolves following the flu or bronchitis?

The doctor at Urgent Care indicated that I may have a case of acute bronchitis; the azithromycin seemed to help me a lot within one day of taking it, and my coughing has stopped as well. On a side note, I have never smoked and have no shortness of breath or diagnosed respiratory issues, walk three miles a day, etc.

Thank you again Doctor!!

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
No, it is not due to fluid build up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
No, it is not due to fluid build up.
It is mostly due to Inflammed airways.
This will definitely regress with regression of bronchitis.
So no need to worry for permanent damage.
It is good that you never smoked.
Hope I have solved your query. If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar.
Wish you good health. Thanks.