Hello doctor, My son has turned 18 months old on

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Sun, 20 Jan 2019 in Child Health
Question: Hello doctor,

My son has turned 18 months old on 30th Nov 2018. He is still due on his 18th month vaccination:

DTwP B(1) / DTaP B(1), OPV / IPV, Hib (B), Hepatitis A (2)

We could not get him administered with above vaccination since he was down with cold and cough for some time. He has turned 19 months today but we are currently traveling and are expected to be back only on 3rd XXXXXXX 2019. Kindly advice if we need to get the vaccination administered immediately or if we can wait?

Thanks,
Raj XXXXXXX Gumdal
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may get it administered after 3rd XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:

It is definitely advisable to immunize child at the expected time period. But since you've missed it by a month, you may wait for the travel to be complete (3rd January) and get the immunization done. I say this, since DTwP is known to induce pain and fever. It is advisable to take this shot when the child is back home and not while travelling.

This delay is unlikely to significantly disturb his immunization; so I'd not be overly concerned about waiting a few more days.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.