Hello doctor, My mom has been complaining of foot pain

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 29 Mar 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello doctor, My mom has been complaining of foot pain for a while now. pains first thing in the morning. symptoms look like plantar fasciitis. we are overseas, what can give any temporary relief? thank you
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ibuprofen after meals will help.

Detailed Answer:
The pain in feet can be due to plantar fasciitis. Its one of the commonest reason for heel and foot pain. Pain in morning and improvement on walking for some time is its classical presentation. The initial treatment is done with anti inflammatory medicines with rest and cold fomentation. It works fine for most of the patients.
To help the pain, ice the area immediately after getting up in the morning. She can use either a store-bought cold pack or a frozen wet towel. Ice for 10 or 15 minutes. To reduce inflammation, take an aspirin or ibuprofen at mealtime.

A 4-inch wide Crepe bandage wrapped around the region also helps reduce discomfort.
Calf and anterior (front of) leg stretching and strengthening addresses the biomechanical problems and reduces pain.
These are few exercises she'll have to do for long time-

1. Calf stretch- Lean forward against a wall with one knee straight and the heel on the ground. Place the other leg in front, with the knee bent. To stretch the calf muscles and the heel cord, push your hips toward the wall in a controlled fashion. Hold the position for 10 seconds and relax. Repeat this exercise 20 times for each foot. A strong pull in the calf should be felt during the stretch.

2. Plantar fascia stretch- This stretch is performed in the seated position. Cross your affected foot over the knee of your other leg. Grasp the toes of your painful foot and slowly pull them toward you in a controlled fashion. The fascia should feel like a tight band along the bottom of your foot when stretched. Hold the stretch for 10 seconds. Repeat it 20 times for each foot.

These exercises are best done in the morning before standing or walking.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal