Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

158 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Hello doctor! I want to make a question about my

Answered by
Dr. Aaron Branch

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 380 Questions

Posted on Sun, 13 Jan 2019 in Men's Health
Question: Hello doctor! I want to make a question about my husband. Today after ejaculation he noticed that was red blood. He does not have other symptoms but we got scared. should he make any examination? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Almost always not serious

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. Blood in the semen is a common concern for men that is almost always nothing serious. Usually it only lasts for a couple of days and goes away on its own. Sometimes it is associated with infection and so a urine test should be done on anyone with blood in the sperm to rule out an infection of the urinary tract or prostate. There is also a small risk of prostate cancer in patients above the age of 50, so depending on your husband's age his doctor may want to check a PSA, prostate exam, and possibly a prostate ultrasound.

Most of the time they cause for the blood in the sperm is not found, and if your husband is younger than 50 years old and the blood goes away within a couple weeks, no further work-up is needed. Otherwise, he should be referred to a urologist for further evaluation.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions or anything else you are concerned about, I would be glad to discuss anything further if you’d like.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Aaron Branch 6 hours later
thank you doctor! my husband is 38 years old and has never had this kind of problem before. It is the first time and we really got scared. It has been a stressful period and he suffers from hypertension. You think I should check the urine alone or to go also te check prostate?
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See below

Detailed Answer:
I think checking the urine alone should be enough. There's no evidence to suggest his risk for prostate problems is any higher at his age, so I would say if the blood goes away, and he has no other symptoms like pain or problems urinating, there would be nothing to worry about. Of course if he is seeing the doctor anyway, it wouldn't hurt to have the prostate examined for any abnormalities. But he wouldn't need his PSA checked or anything like that. You and he can be reassured that his situation is almost always something benign, and cancer would be very unlikely for him.

I hope that helps, please feel free to ask any other questions you might have.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on