Hello doctor! I want to make a question about my
Almost always not serious
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. Blood in the semen is a common concern for men that is almost always nothing serious. Usually it only lasts for a couple of days and goes away on its own. Sometimes it is associated with infection and so a urine test should be done on anyone with blood in the sperm to rule out an infection of the urinary tract or prostate. There is also a small risk of prostate cancer in patients above the age of 50, so depending on your husband's age his doctor may want to check a PSA, prostate exam, and possibly a prostate ultrasound.
Most of the time they cause for the blood in the sperm is not found, and if your husband is younger than 50 years old and the blood goes away within a couple weeks, no further work-up is needed. Otherwise, he should be referred to a urologist for further evaluation.
I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions or anything else you are concerned about, I would be glad to discuss anything further if you’d like.
I think checking the urine alone should be enough. There's no evidence to suggest his risk for prostate problems is any higher at his age, so I would say if the blood goes away, and he has no other symptoms like pain or problems urinating, there would be nothing to worry about. Of course if he is seeing the doctor anyway, it wouldn't hurt to have the prostate examined for any abnormalities. But he wouldn't need his PSA checked or anything like that. You and he can be reassured that his situation is almost always something benign, and cancer would be very unlikely for him.
I hope that helps, please feel free to ask any other questions you might have.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- I currently take cape aloe (aloe Ferox) everyday for constipation
- My husband just received a lab report. His SGOT is
- Chest x Ray was recorded as normal..for a work visa
- My son is 19 and is constantly cold . His
- I had constipation for the last week. It is gone
- Tip of penis stings when contacted by clothing, slight redness
- I have had two knee replacements - the first was
- hai I have a pain in my left arm since
- I have itchy scalp bumps. The doctors call it uticaria.
- what do when back is paining