Hello doctor, I am writing to you about my concern

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 22 Mar 2019 in General Health
Question: Hello doctor,

I am writing to you about my concern with my eye sight - for few seconds my eye sight all of a sudden becomes weird and I see two images, something like a double vision for few seconds only. When I have this episode, I feel my eyes are converging and then everything appears two (but they are not converging)

I have this problem for a long time (more than 10 years if I remember well) and I did consult many doctors and they all confirmed there is no problem.

I usually get these episodes for 5 or 6 times only in the entire year. at times I get 2 episodes in 2 days which concerns me. I did have this symptom last night before going to sleep and was seeing 2 images for about 5 seconds and then it became normal and I had one more this morning while starting to work. (there was never a time where this happened more than 2 straight days)

can you please suggest me if there can be a complete prevention of these symptoms, if I need to undergo any tests and is this a serious concern?

Awaiting your response.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely, it is due to fatigue.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms and would like to reassure you that these do not suggest any serious problem.

In a brain-related double vision, symptoms would be constant and would get worse over time.

Normal eye examination has ruled out eye diseases also.

The most common cause of transient double vision is fatigue, related to prolonged working on computers or lack of sleep or stress, or a combination of these factors.

Sleep well, take breaks while working and lead a stress-free life to overcome these symptoms.

No tests are needed as of now.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana