Hello doctor, At the vaccination today the doc suggested tht

Pediatrician
Question
Hello doctor,

At the vaccination today the doc suggested tht my three month old baby (oct 21, 2017)might have a tongue tie (front)...he said to look-for if the tongue makes a heart shape or looks like pulled back....i cant figure out both but dont wanna challenge by doc too..shall be seeing a paed surgeon to confirm it soon but my.question is

1. If she has a tongue tie, there shud have been difficulty in feeding from begining right.. my wife n daughter have had a good latch and feed session last three months and her weight gain is good too, but off late (last two weeks) wifey feels acute pain n burning sensation in her nipples while n after feed, doc says it might be cos of tngue tie.....but if its tongue tie, shudnt it be a problem be from the first day?

2. Assuming there is tongue tie, will we be facing any further breast feeding or latching hurdles? as the doc said that the rectefying procedure might happen when shs starts speeching

3. Doc suggested to meet the surgeon now and any rectification if needed will be done when she starts speech...will it be too late by then?

4. Does tongue tie always need a surgery or gets better by itself too?

5. my baby has been drooling and putting her fingers in the mouth n sucking her thumb very often...can this be teething or one of the consequence of tongue tie to?

6. can u please suggest an remedy to soothe my wifes sore nipples...

Attaching a pic (when she was six weeks protuding her tongue out), and pics now while she is sleeping, her tongue is resting up the roof of the mouth n u can see the frenullum thoug not very clear but i m assuming,, if there was a front tongue tie, she wudnt have been protruding her tongue so muxh.

Bw- 3.8kg
Now - 6.4 kg
pee count 10+
Active baby.... Three months as on today ! Ebf baby

thanks a lot !
Wed, 7 Feb 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Should not be a big deal

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through the query and have checked the attached images. Based on the second and third image it does not look like a tongue tie (ankyloglossia). However, the diagnosis of tongue tie would be made based on the freedom of movement of the tongue. Let me try to answer your queries one by one:

1. Not necessarily. Feeding problems or latching problems are possible but not necessary. If present, it is more likely to be present right from the beginning.

2. If you have not faced latching hurdles till now, you are unlikely to face them in the future. Your doctor is right.

3. No

4. Does not always require surgery. But unlikely to get better by itself, but possible.

5. Could be associated with teething or with tongue tie. Most likely normal anyway.

6. Nipple shield (made of silicone gel) can be used. From time to time she should express a few drops of breast milk and apply them on the nipples.