question-icon

Hello doctor, Around 8 weeks ago I fingered a lady

Posted on Fri, 5 Apr 2019
Question: Hello doctor,
Around 8 weeks ago I fingered a lady of unknown hiv status, while fingering I ejaculated and held my penis with the same fingers by which I was fingering her, am I at risk please? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prasad (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
very, very low risks...

Detailed Answer:

This type of exposure where the contact with body fluid was on the finger has very low risks of HIV. I would not consider the risk as significant. But if you are overly worried, you can get HIV tests after 9 weeks.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prasad (8 hours later)
Hello sir,
Would not the HIV in the vaginal liquids in my finger enter through my penis urethra while I was holding my penis with the same finger by which I was fingering her? Because the time difference between fingering her and holding my penis was very low, hardly a couple of seconds... XXXXXXX ...
Answered by Dr. Prasad (15 hours later)
Brief Answer:
the risks are low...

Detailed Answer:

Practically the risk of HIV transmission is low unless the exposure involved an unprotected intercourse. Yes, in theory you can be right, but this type of exposure carries a very low risk.
If you are worried about still worried about it, you should get the HIV test. I am sure your doubts will be cleared after test result.

Hope this answered your question. let me know if you still need clarifications.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad (48 hours later)
Hello sir,
Why is penetrative sex vital for hiv transmission? Can't transmission occur during non penetrative sex also.? XXXXXXX ..
Answered by Dr. Prasad (24 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Theoretically yes, they can...

Detailed Answer:

I did not mean hiv cannot be transmitted with non penetrative sex. Theoretically yes, it can. But in practice, the chances of transmission is significantly low; close to zero. Therefore for all practical purposes the risk of HIV transmission by the aforementioned events is almost nil. I would not be worried in such cases. In case you are worried about it, getting HIV test is the answer. A negative HIV test result hopefully will put your fears to rest.

Hope I am clear. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Dr. Prasad