question-icon

Hello and thanks for help. I am a very healthy

Posted on Thu, 7 Mar 2019
Question: Hello and thanks for help. I am a very healthy 55 year old man - Never have missed a day of work or school in my career - I have had stomach issues for last 8 days or so - Diarreah is better Threw up once today Neighbor thinks I may need antibotic for viral issue
Answered by Dr. Prasad (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Stool test recommended...

Detailed Answer:

Since you continue to have diarrhea for more than a week, I would suggest to get a stool test done. This will help us identify any kind of bacterial infection - which seems less likely to me. The need for antibiotic is based on test results.

In the interim, I would suggest to use probiotics and not antibiotics straight away. Drink lots of fluids and remain hydrated.

Hope this helps. let me know if you need clarifications.

Dr. Prasad