Hello and thank you. My boyfriend is a healthy, active

General Surgeon
Question
Hello and thank you. My boyfriend is a healthy, active 56 yo Hispanic man. Today he has experienced increasing nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, intermittently. T99, pulse 80, reap. 12. It seems like possibly food poisoning or gastroenteritis, but he also has severe lower left side back pain. Doesn't seem to correlate with other symptoms, but I was kind of worried about kidney stones . He's miserable..hospital or wait a while? He's had omeprozole and 800mg. Ibuprofen with little relief.
Wed, 7 Feb 2018 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It looks like Gastroenteritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
As per your description,it looks like Gastroenteritis.It could be due to contaminated food or water.
Pain in left lower part of abdomen on the back side can.be due to involvement of Colon or Stone in the Kidney/Ureter.
Ultrasound abdomen will confirm the diagnosis.
You should not wait.
As he is having both vomiting and loose stool,he should be admitted and given Intravenous fluids.If infection is suspected, Antibiotics should also be added.
Nothing to worry.
Please take him to Hospital immediately as delay may cause electrolyte I'm balance.
Hope I answered your query.If you have any questions,I will clarify further.
Wish him speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Hello and thank you. My boyfriend is a healthy, active 10 minutes later
Thank you very much, doctor.

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
HI
Thank you for your response.