Hello Sir. I went to a barber shop a couple

Posted on Wed, 20 Jun 2018 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hello Sir. I went to a barber shop a couple of days ago and I had to wait as someone was already there. Approx 2-3 minutes later my turn came and the barber asked me how should I save my beard. I first said I will go with blades but then changed my mind( I now feel why I changed) that I will get it done by a trimmer. So he pulled off a trimmer which was lying on the table in front of us and removed it's clips and trimmed by beard with the bare metal blades. I have many pimples on my face and one on the left side of my neck. Immediately this remembrance started to make me afraid and although there wasn't any visible blood out of those, I am very anxious that I may have got HIV. I asked the barber if he had used the trimmer to the previous customer but he said no, which hasn't convinced me.
Please help me as I am really living in fear.
Another thing happened on that same place minute before as the barber washed my face with a cold water soaked piece of cloth. I am sure some of the water then entered my eyes. Now the cloth was placed in a XXXXXXX refrigerator full of water and after rubbing the cloth on my face the barber kept it there. Now I believe he must have done the same with previous customers as it's kind of his ritual. So I wonder if any previous customers had a bloody pimple through which blood may have contaminated the cloth and when he washed my face with that same piece of cloth, any water mixed with contaminated blood can enter in my mucous membrane. I heard that HIV virus survive in cold water and can it be a way of getting HIV? I am very much paranoid about it and please help me.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HIV transmission occurs through the exchange of body fluids, not through fomites

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HealthcareMagic.
Thanks for posting your query...

HIV can not survive outside the body fluids for not more than few seconds. It will not survive in cold water. Nobody got so far HIV through bathing in a river or a channel or even in a pool.

No need to worry about HIV in such scenario. Transmission of HIV through a barber shop is a very remote possibility. Sharing of towel has no risk for HIV, but can transmit skin infection like fungus.

Relax and nothing to worry. You won't have HIV infection in this way.

Dr S.Murugan

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist