Hello, Our baby is 8 days old now. Her umbilical

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2018 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hello, Our baby is 8 days old now. Her umbilical cord has fallen on day 3. Today we saw slight bleeding in her umbilical stump due to irritation from her clothes. Please suggest if we should apply any ointment or leave it as it is. Please find attached images for reference. Thanks in advance XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
follow the advice, observe how she stays afterwards...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service...
I've gone through your query in details...
I can understand your concern...

I've checked the attached image. Well, since it's already been 5days from the cord fell-off, bleeding now could be due to irritation, infection or some other reasons too.

Firstly, I'd suggest cleaning the area with plain spirit swab and put some pressure on the area with the swab for a few minutes...apart from this make sure there's no pressure/irritation due to external clothing. Perhaps put on soft cotton clothing and blanket coverings to reduce any unwanted irritation.

Keep the area dry and observe how she stays afterwards. If she started bathing, you may avoid it for a day for now (gentle sponging could be done instead)...

If there's any persistence of bleeding despite this, it's recommended to take her to the Pediatrician...the area should be inspected by her Paediatrician for any residual infection/source of bleeding...additionally she may also require to get Vitamin-K injections depending on the findings...

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee