Hello. My right eye, which is my dominant eye, is
Many causes of eye pain
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. There are many causes of eye pain, and it would probably require an extensive evaluation and examination to determine the cause of your pain. You did not mention that your eye was red, so in that case the possible causes would be many, including glaucoma, optic neuritis, migraine, sinus infection, and others. Important questions I would want to ask would be: How old are you? How long have you had this pain? Does moving the eye make the pain worse? Is the eye red at all? Is your vision affected? Do you have any discharge from the eye? Does the pain come and go, or is it constant? Do you have an headache? If you can send a picture of your eye, that may help as well.
If you can provide this additional information I will do my best to help advise you.
Thanks for that information.
Though typically the eye would be red, I think you most likely have viral conjunctivitis, as your symptoms do not fit any other diagnosis that I know of. You can use the eye drops you have been using and can try topical antihistamine/decongestant drops such as Naphcon-A over the counter.
The irritation and discharge may get worse for 3-5 days before getting better, but symptoms may last for 2-3 weeks. A scratch on your cornea would be another less likely possibility if you continue to have pain that is not improving after 5 days, or if you develop any other symptoms such as vision loss, I would recommend seeing an eye doctor.
I hope that helps answer your question, please let me know if you have any other questions or want me to explain anything further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- I currently take cape aloe (aloe Ferox) everyday for constipation
- My husband just received a lab report. His SGOT is
- Chest x Ray was recorded as normal..for a work visa
- My son is 19 and is constantly cold . His
- I had constipation for the last week. It is gone
- Tip of penis stings when contacted by clothing, slight redness
- I have had two knee replacements - the first was
- hai I have a pain in my left arm since
- I have itchy scalp bumps. The doctors call it uticaria.
- what do when back is paining