Hello. My right eye, which is my dominant eye, is

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2019 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hello. My right eye, which is my dominant eye, is painful, very sensitive to odors, sensitive to light, and watery. In the morning, when I wake, it just doesn't pop open without thought like my left. I must kind of think about moving my eye muscles to open it. I have tried ibuprofen, trying to rule out inflammation/strain with no difference in symptoms. I have also tried an otc multi symptom eye product composed of glycerin, hypromellose, polyethylene glycol, tetrahydrozoline and zinc sulfate. previous to that I tried a standard Visine type product. I waited hours between attempts with these so I could see if there were any improvements of my symptoms. I take a daily loratadine tablet and use fluticasone once daily. By odors, an example would be, my husband burned some cookies and I work in a brass manufacturing plant and in both occasions my symptoms were much worse and I found relief in fresh air. My question is what should I do now? Thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Many causes of eye pain

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. There are many causes of eye pain, and it would probably require an extensive evaluation and examination to determine the cause of your pain. You did not mention that your eye was red, so in that case the possible causes would be many, including glaucoma, optic neuritis, migraine, sinus infection, and others. Important questions I would want to ask would be: How old are you? How long have you had this pain? Does moving the eye make the pain worse? Is the eye red at all? Is your vision affected? Do you have any discharge from the eye? Does the pain come and go, or is it constant? Do you have an headache? If you can send a picture of your eye, that may help as well.

If you can provide this additional information I will do my best to help advise you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Aaron Branch 1 hour later
As my age was filled out at least 3 times I am 60. No discharge no headache not red this is the second day of symptoms. Eye movement doesn't change pain. It's constant. My vision is not affected.
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably conjunctivitis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for that information.

Though typically the eye would be red, I think you most likely have viral conjunctivitis, as your symptoms do not fit any other diagnosis that I know of. You can use the eye drops you have been using and can try topical antihistamine/decongestant drops such as Naphcon-A over the counter.

The irritation and discharge may get worse for 3-5 days before getting better, but symptoms may last for 2-3 weeks. A scratch on your cornea would be another less likely possibility if you continue to have pain that is not improving after 5 days, or if you develop any other symptoms such as vision loss, I would recommend seeing an eye doctor.

I hope that helps answer your question, please let me know if you have any other questions or want me to explain anything further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee