question-icon

Hello, My newborn Son is 11 days old and he

Posted on Tue, 26 Mar 2019
Question: Hello,

My newborn Son is 11 days old and he was lying on my chest Sleeping (he was lying on his stomach, head tilted to side). His right ear that was on my chest was folded over. When I handed him to my wife I realized the ear was folded. I quickly unfolded the ear, and it regained shape. With him lying on my chest , causing the ear to fold , could that hurt his hearing??? I’m very concerned, please help me.
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das (12 minutes later)
I’m worried about ear being folded, and the stretching of ear could possibly injure the ear drum. I’m a father who suffers from lots of anxiety. His hearing was perfect on the hearing test performed at hospital when he was born. P
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
No problems

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using the ask a doctor service.

Let me assure you that the external ear getting folded would not cause any problems to the hearing or ear drum. You need not worry.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das (14 hours later)
Even if it was folded for about an hour with him lying on my chest sleeping?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (45 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
No worries

Detailed Answer:
Yes, even then you need not worry.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician