question-icon

Hello, Last Night I Was Told I Needed To Debride

Posted on Sun, 23 Sep 2018
Question: Hello,
Last night I was told I needed to debride my ulcer wound of all the yellow in it before it can heal.
I clean it when I change the bandages with gauze pads and get all I can until the gauze has no more yellow residue at least twice a day.
Is there something else I can do or buy to help remove the stuff?
Answered by Dr. Dr. Monika Dede (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
I suggest starting oral antibiotics.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in"Ask a Doctor".
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I have seen carefully your picture and I think that you should know that this ulcer wounds in diabetic patient need a long time to heal.
I suggest meeting a plastic surgery specialist to clean and debride better your wound and should start oral antibiotics during this time because I see signs of inflammation in the picture.

Hope my answer helps you.
Feel free to ask me further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist