Hello, I'm a student at Purdue University and help with
● Severe unilateral pain in the head
● Pain behind the orbit of the eye
● Red eye
● Runny nose
● Eyelid swelling
● Feels like a hot poker has stabbed her in the eye
Hello and welcome to "Ask a Doctor " service.
I have read your query and here is my explanation.
Those symptoms resemble a condition known as cluster headaches.
The cause is not well understood but is thought that abnormalities in the hypothalamus function may be the main mechanism.
Alcohol should be avoided during the cluster periods that may last several weeks.
Treatment consists mainly in oxygen inhalations during exacerbations, triptans use, octreotide, etc.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes tingling and pins and needle sensation on the left side of...
- What causes numbness in feet and ankles?
- What causes mouth spots and pit in forehead?
- What causes tingling feeling in shoulder?
- Suggest treatment for panic attacks, non functional rectum and memory loss
- What causes numbness in the right side of foot and leg?
- What causes burning sensation and tingling in hands and feet?
- What does my CT scan suggest?
- What causes shortness of breath in a patient with fibromyalgia?
- What causes severe muscle twitches at night in shoulders and arms?